Monday, July 04, 2005

Cosmic Joke

You ever had a feeling that sometimes the cosmos conspires to play a joke on you? We end up calling it a cosmic coincidence, but I suspect that it really is more planned than chance. I don’t want to start any blasphemous rumors / but I think that God’s got a sick sense of humor / and when I die, I expect to find him laughing, or so sings Depeche Mode.

Take last Saturday. It started out with a downer. I received an SMS from Ipe, the one who does my hair, asking to move our Saturday afternoon appointment to Sunday. Since I adjust to his schedule, I had to rearrange my weekend plans. The good thing about being single is that I can be very flexible with my plans and change things with a minimum of fuss. Still, what a bummer.

Midmorning, I received an invitation from Leigh to go shopping. I jettisoned my Saturday afternoon plans and joined her for shopping and foot massage.

Afterwards we were having dinner at Metrowalk and I was telling her about my cancelled plans with Ipe when, oh my gulay! At first I couldn’t believe my eyes: did I just see Eddie, Ipe’s significant other? He was with someone, but the other person was ahead and had turned the corner. So I waited until I saw them stepping into view on the second floor. It was Ipe with Eddie! I tried calling him on his cell, but either it was on mute or it wasn’t with him because he didn’t answer. So I just let them be while Leigh and I finished dinner.

After I dropped Leigh off at her house, Ipe called. He and Eddie hadn’t been out on a date in a long time and wanted me to be their guide in Malate. We agreed to meet in Komiks Bar first before going to Bed together.

So my usual Saturday evening in Bed turned out to be an unusual night. We were joined by three of their friends. Since the two have been out of the scene for several years already, they insisted they were wary of what might happen to them inside Bed. So I restricted them to the second floor bar area. Plus I told them, “When going to the bathroom, don’t make eye contact with anyone. If it’s someone you know, let him greet you first.” Good gosh, I have the makings of an anti-social manang! Good thing the two had a few drinks and after a while were having fun.

Normally I don’t enjoy going out with couples—I’ve done that so often before with my past crushes, I perfected being the masochistic third wheel. But despite hanging out with two couples that night (two of the friends are togther), I had fun. And to think I almost met Badinggerzie in person that night! Next time Bernz, magpakilala ka naman, kahit mukhang serioso o masungit ako. Don’t mind my default facial expression.

P.S. – Sunday I got my haircut at Ipe’s in Laguna. We made sure we scheduled it late afternoon to give him and Eddie time to recover; I didn’t want him snipping my ear off by accident.

11 Comments:

Blogger iamwasted said...

i dont have your email add :)

7:24 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

JAY: Check out the McLinks. Click on "Get personal. Email me!" :-)

7:32 PM  
Blogger BERNADETTE said...

mcvie: tayez?! kelangan tayes mag-ge-"get personal" wahahaha.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, if you make eye contact in bed's bathroom, you get... more contact? compact?

xanderKhan!

6:59 AM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

BERNZ: Hoongah! Tingnan natin kung kerri mo this Saturday.

JAMES: O ano, bagets? Payagan ka ba ng mommy dearest mo to go out this Saturday evening? (Wag mo sabihin na girls-night-out yun, hahaha!) ;-)

XANDERKHAN: You get... why don't you find out for yourself? Hihihi. :-)

4:30 PM  
Blogger PINKisthenewBLACK said...

waaah! ako pa!

wag lang muna this saturday..hmmm maybe after my exams. gusto ko lang naman lumabas hehehe

12:14 AM  
Blogger . said...

Ay kung saturday kayo magmamalars mukhang ikaw ata ang kauna-unahang blogger na makakameet kay ate Bernz. Di bale ok lang. Basta ang mga compli CD niyo ready to burn na ha.

4:52 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

TRIPPY: Si James may exams pa, so ang mga lola niya will tour him around "rodeo drive" after na lang (studies muna bago sex). But regardless, the McVie is often seen in Bed on a Saturday. Bernz knows what I look like, so nasasa kanya kung magpapakilala siya o hindi.

BERNZ: Magpakilala ka naman, o. ;-)

TRIPPY (again): Naku, hindi ko alam kung kelan ako makakapag-Malate on a Friday, since it's my busiest day. Bahala na kung paano makukuha ang compli CD. :-)

5:29 PM  
Blogger PINKisthenewBLACK said...

OMG

My next two weeks will be the busiest this month..

hay, hirap maging student

hope to see you and sana si bernz

if u guys want to go to BED for the next two saturdays, go ahead. i have to be 'geeky' muna

11:24 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

JAMES: Go ahead, be "geeky" muna, dahil mas importante yan kaysa sa gimik sa Malate. :-)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

I miss eddie + ipe!!!! I miss Malate!!!!!

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home