Monday, July 04, 2005

Waiting In Vain

I was listening to Annie Lennox’s version when I got curious and listened to Bob Marley’s original. Aside from the obvious shift in gender, Annie made some subtle changes in the lyrics: [1] instead of the original “Is it feasible?” Annie changed it to “Is it crazy?” [2] Annie dropped the original line “It’s my love that you’re running from”; instead, she emphasized the line “But your love is my relief” by ending her version with that.

In effect Annie’s version makes her sound more sanguine about being smitten compared to Bob’s version, which is the more sober one (even if he sounds high while singing, hahaha). She can still find it in herself to be cheerful while waiting; he’s still waiting, but he’s more clear-eyed about the situation—despite the fog of ganja smoke surrounding the song.

From the very first time I rest my eyes on you, boy,
my heart says follow through.
But I know, now, that I’m way down on your line,
But the waiting feel is fine.
So don’t treat me like a puppet on a string,
‘Cause I know I have to do my thing.
Don’t talk to me as if you think I’m dumb;
I wanna know when you’re gonna come—soon.

I don’t wanna wait in vain for your love.
‘Cause if summer is here,
I’m still waiting there;
Winter is here,
And I’m still waiting there.

Like I said:
It’s been three years since I’m knockin’ on your door,
And I still can knock some more.
Ooh boy, ooh boy, is it feasible?
I wanna know now,
For I to knock some more.
Ya see, in life I know there’s lots of grief,
But your love is my relief.
Tears in my eyes burn, tears in my eyes burn
While I’m waiting, while I’m waiting for my turn.

It’s my love that you’re running from.


For years this has been my theme song, through four straight guys and several crushes afterwards. It’s time I properly file this song in the soundtrack of my life: under “Classics of the Past”.

5 Comments:

Blogger iamwasted said...

there's one more version of that song, by MYMP, which I REALLY REALLY hate.

9:54 AM  
Blogger iamwasted said...

btw, email ad is drinkingpal4u@yahoo.com :)

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... ihave always loved annie's polished rendition over bob's crude, err... raw original version.

7:47 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

ANONYMOUS: Are you xanderKhan?

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

naahhh... you dont know me in any ways. found yuor blog through a friend's blog.

i was the same person who posted as anonymous on your entry ms. namibia. hehe

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home