Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Barney Streisand

So I’m at my desk playing Broadway musical tunes with the volume up because it’s already late and most have gone home, when a gay officemate passed by. He’s around 21 years old, fresh out of college. Upon hearing Barang belt out “Somewhere” from West Side Story, he turned to me and with a smirk said: “Hindi naman baklang-bakla yang kantang yan, noh?”

I retorted: “Naku, hinding-hindi. Lalakeng-lalake nga ang kantang ‘to, eh. Narinig ko nga ang mga siga sa kanto kinakanta ‘to!”

“Hahaha! Naku, ka-level ni Streisand yang sina Cher at ang mga sinauna pa.” Then he paused, as if contemplating whether he should continue or stop right there and then. He decided to put his foot in his mouth: “Sila ang mga dinosaurs ng sangkabaklaan.”

My eyebrow was up even before you could sing people who need people are the luckiest people in the world. “Hoy! Walang hiya ka. Magbigay pugay ka sa ating mga lola! Ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan…”

“Hahahaha, ano?”

“…may stiff neck!” I finished. “Gaga ka.”

What’s with the young ‘uns these days? No respect!

5 Comments:

Blogger Nelson said...

They're obviously into Kylie and Britney.... he he

Pero at least he recognized Babs!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as i say, different men have different tastes. we just have to respect eachother's differences.

10:12 AM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

HASTYDEVIL: This isn't about taste; it's not about whether my officemate liked the song or not. (He's familiar with it, though.) It's about respecting one's elders, hahaha.

But seriously, I think we should all learn to appreciate the people who've blazed trails before us. Without them, where would we be? However, I do recognize that this appreciation comes later in life, when people have aged a bit. When you're young, you don't have much past to look back on.

1:10 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

Gosh, I just realized I sound so old in my previous comment, MWHAHAHAHA!

Geez. :-)

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess you're right, we're young so we don't have much past to look back on. i always find myself silenced whenever my older friends talk about the 80's and the early 90's. I don't have any recollections to share.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home