Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Weekend Thoughts

Last Friday evening after work I went to Government, the default hang-out since Bed is closed for major Botox action. There they played Madonna’s first single, “Hung Up” taken from her latest album. For the fans of ABBA and Madonna (yours truly), hearing the sampled riff from “Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)” followed by Maddie’s distinct voice (okay, I didn’t hear a British accent in her singing, thank bloody goodness!) will give one quite an aural kick. But here’s the thing: it’s a great dance track, but I don’t know if it’ll translate well to massive radio airplay.

* * * * *

More and more I believe in the following axiom: When you really, really want something, Fate conspires against you. And when you don’t want it anymore, that’s when Fate gives it to you on a silver platter. But Fate is one sneaky, tricky dude. He can sniff a poseur a mile away. So even if you publicly declare, “I will not smoke anymore” but deep inside you actually long for nicotine, Fate will make sure that no cigarette comes your way. But the moment you resign yourself to a nicotine-free existence, Fate in the form of your favorite uncle stationed in Saudi will step in and come home with a full ream of imported Marlboro Reds as pasalubong for you. Either way, you’re the butt of Fate’s joke.

* * * * *

During our beach trip I discovered that I can fry pretty well. Yes I know it’s not nuclear science, but I’m someone who often steers clear from the kitchen (unless to grab a piece of newly-fried chicken or a stick of barbeque) and only knows how to boil egg. But on the beach trip we all had to pitch in for kitchen duties and that included cooking and cleaning of dishes. I prepared garlic fried rice. Later on I helped out another group prepare banana-Q. While someone rubbed brown sugar on peeled bananas, I did the frying. The first batch of bananas was a blackened disaster—too much sugar and too many bananas in the pan. But I learned very fast; the rest of the batches were perfect.

Hmmm, maybe I just might take on cooking. I find the preparation part (like the chopping of garlic) a very relaxing task. Then there’s the challenge in the cooking part of getting it just right. Then there’s also something zen-like with dishwashing. I think I’ll like being in the kitchen if I don’t do everything; otherwise, I’ll quickly get tired of cooking.

Then again maybe last weekend’s excursion into the kitchen was just a fluke, a welcome break from the usual McRoutine of my life.

3 Comments:

Blogger fried-neurons said...

Supposedly Madge had to beg ABBA to let her sample the song. Should be interesting. Sige na nga, bibilhin ko ang album.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Empress Kaiserin said...

i go to govt sometimes with my gay friends... it's amusing because nobody notices me... like i don't exist, and it's cool cuz it's the only place where i dont have to be conscious if i'm pretty or not! though i like bed better... ;)

11:49 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

SAINT EROICA: While I prefer the Bed vibe, I also appreciate Government. Actually, the migration pattern is: before midnight, Greenbelt; after midnight, Government; around 3 to 4am, Bed.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home