Thursday, May 19, 2005

A Look At Luke

Sometimes we think that our lives are so full of drama, especially the “Lord-why-me?” kind. When we become too self-involved, when we feel sorry for ourselves the good Lord comes around to slap us silly and put us in our place.

Case in point: after several days of mild depression (I rarely go into a deep depression these days; nothing can be that important that it distracts me from living my life), I received a message in my DL account. It was from a good-looking stranger, let’s call him Luke. In his profile he said he was 24 yrs old, bi-curious and a single parent to a 6-yr old son. Hmmm! Now he’s making me curious. And to make things even more interesting, he works in a call center located in our building. So to make a long story short, we agreed to meet during his 10pm break. On my way to our rendezvous place, he sent me a text message: You might not recognize me from my pic. I was sick for 3 months, and I had my hair cut really short.

I met him in front of the 24-hr convenience store at the ground floor of our building. Yes, he was a lot thinner, especially with a semikal hairstyle. But he still looked good. After the initial hi’s and hello’s, I asked him “So you got sick, eh? With what?”

He replied, “Leukemia.”








(!!!)








Well, what can one say to that?

He said the disease is already in remission; he’s taking medicine regularly to make sure his blood cell count remains normal and stable. And despite having leukemia, he forces himself to travel from Las Piñas to Quezon City and work on the 8pm-to-8am shift just so he can provide for his kid; he doesn’t get any help from the mother. His son means the world to him.

We ended up chatting the whole 20 minutes of his break. During that time he finished two sticks of cigarettes. “Yeah, I know it’s bad,” he said. “Ironic that I took up smoking after I found out I had leukemia. It’s my stress release.” We talked about him missing out on his teenage years, his being bi-curious, and his ex-boyfriend.

After I bade farewell to him, I was lost in deep thought on my way back to my office. On the one hand that meeting was kind of unnerving. On the other hand it reminded me to view life differently. I remember the look in his eyes, wary yet hopeful, weary yet willing to go on, full of love for his child. Life is full of surprises indeed.

Neat nickname I picked, huh?

Bad joke: What will you say to him after he ejaculates? “Luke came, yeah?”

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading this kinda makes me want someone to take care of. Hmm i'm too lazy to google it..is leukemia in remission good or bad?

6:00 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

His leukemia is held in check for the moment, that's what I meant. I hope that's what remission also means. For now his red/white blood cell count is normal.

6:08 PM  
Blogger . said...

Pramis, I felt like I was hit by a stone in my face after reading your entry. Thanks dude for waking me up. :)

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, I think I found the profile of the guy you mentioned. :) Don't worry, I won't mention a thing. But I think I'll add him in my friend list too. :)

- imogen

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having your own child is the best gift one can ever have. I feel strongly for Luke. My daughter is my personal source of strength and happiness. I hope that the sun shines on him real soon.

5:10 AM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

Imogen, XP, Liquidus: If you think you felt like you were hit in the head with this episode, wait til you read the next one. PRAMIS.

12:03 PM  
Blogger BERNADETTE said...

eksena . . . .


(speechless ang bakla) . . . .


this reminded me of someone . . .


someone so close . . . .

fortunately, he survived it . . still living, having fun, still gay.

but the thing is. doctors said, its very unpredictable, it can come back suddenly and when it comes back . . . it'll make sure it kills.

4:45 PM  
Blogger A.Dimaano said...

katakot naman yung sinabi ni badette :( anyways, touching entry ... awakening indeed. can't wait for the next entry ...

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home