Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Thoughts While Watching An Old Movie On TV

“Oh yes! Kaibigan mo ako! Kaibigan mo lang ako!” (Oh yes! I’m your friend! I’m just your friend!)
– Budjoy (Jolina Magdangal) to Ned (Marvin Agustin) in Labs Kita, Okey Ka Lang?

Cheesy line, isn’t it? But heck, that line helped cement Marvin/Jolina as the loveteam to beat back then.

It’s understandable why most people put friendship a notch below a lover. But really, why should it be the case? After all, we call our lovers “boyfriends”, right?

Okay, so maybe we can’t imagine having sex with our friends. But if you read accounts about gay life in the heady 70s and early 80s (before the specter of AIDS gate-crashed and spoiled the party), gays were breaking stereotypes and pushing the boundaries on relationships. They refused to swallow hook, line and sinker the hetero model of relationships. They were homosexuals, dammit, and they were determined to forge their own path away from the straight and narrow. Most recently I read an article in Out Magazine where the author recounted how he and his friends would have sex with one another without the pressures or expectations that usually accompany a formal relationship. Mind you I’m not advocating boinking every friend in sight. But it’s interesting how back then they elevated the notion of friendship from a “just friends” to people who will stand by you no matter what, in sickness and in health, ‘til death do you part. After family, who else can be as devoted to you so unconditionally?

Lovers are careful not to hurt your feelings. Real friends will tell things to your face, whether you like it or not. Passions fade. Friendships are more resilient. It is not surprising why so many people prefer that the person they marry is not just their lover but also their friend.

So maybe if ever—heaven forbid!—Marvin and Jolina make a reunion movie, they are now old enough to shoot a sex scene between them, as friends.

Now if you’ll just excuse me, I’ll go barf.

7 Comments:

Blogger sky said...

Grabe ka naman. I once had a crush on Jolina (and Mikee Cojuangco) when I was younger.

5:20 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

Well, talo kita--may crush ako noon kay Marvin! Hahaha!

Seriously, one of my earliest projects was with Star Cinema, and while I was reviewing their movies it slowly dawned on me that--gasp!--I had actually watched all of their movies! I was a closet Marvin/Jolina fan!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jillsabs said...

that was a good movie ha! i was inspired to revisit baguio because of that :)

7:28 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

Actually I liked that movie. I'm a Marvin/Jolina fan, remember? But only when they were still a loveteam. If I think of them today having sex... ewwww.

But back to the movie. Aside from the scene were the quote came from, my other favorite scenes there include Marvin climbing up the ladder to surprise Jolina--only it turns out to be Jolina's daydream, and the whole chase-the-bus sequence.

I embrace my jologs side. :-)

7:37 PM  
Blogger Kaloy said...

My ex and I once talked about the possibility of having a "third boyfriend" haha. Hard to find someone open-minded enough for it though.

9:39 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

Liquidus: I suppose a three-way tie arrangement is feasible if they can avoid the jealousy traps. Jealousies happen if people consider their partners as "theirs" as if they were private properties. In truth people don't really belong to other people.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

it's kinda surreal to imagine Jolina being a sexpot. I mean si marvin sigue, pwede pa given the right motivation and role [and he's got the bod for it. But Jolens?

Somehow the image that leaps to mind is her lying seductively on bed in full kabuki make-up and with all her kikay accoutrements on and smiling sweetly at the camera.

Kahit maging lalake man ako, hindi ako titigasan sa ichura nya....

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home