Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Da Code Decoded

At last I gave in and decided to read the book The Da Vinci Code. I had no plans of reading it, especially since everyone seemed to have read it already, but the upcoming movie made it a required read.

Frankly it’s really just mostly smoke and mirrors, a crafty piece of mystery that’s actually simpler than it appears to be. Thanks largely to Dan Brown’s extensive research into the Templars and the Holy Grail, the book entices the reader with a potentially humongous mystery spanning several continents and centuries. Only when the whole plot is revealed that the reader realizes he was taken for a ride—what seemed controversial in the book are in fact just effective smokescreens. So for me while the pay-off is generally satisfying, it comes off feeling a lot smaller. In the end the novel deflates like a balloon, releasing what turns out to be just a lot of hot air.

8 Comments:

Blogger Daimengrui said...

rightly said

11:00 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

Hahaha! And I thought I'd incur the wrath of many Code fans. Heck, are there many watching The McVie Show anyway?

11:09 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

My sentiments exactly! I heard a lot of hype surrounding the book, and when I read it, I found it rather unsatisfying.

Extremely overrated, if you ask me. "Angels and Demons," the supposed prequel to "Da Vinci Code" is even worse.

Masyadong mababaw! ;-)

1:52 AM  
Blogger fried-neurons said...

I enjoyed it, as well as Angels and Demons, a lot. Then again, I didn't really expect them to be anything other than fun reads on a lazy, rainy weekend. As far as entertainment goes, I think the two books are very good. That's why I find it extremely funny that a lot of religious figures are in a tizzy over the Da Vinci Code. Anyone trying to find some big or deeper meaning in them is misguided. :)

11:15 AM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

As a piece of entertainment, the book succeeds as a page-turner. But I just wish that the pay-offs are more deserving, considering all the huffing-and-puffing of the set-up.

But yes, it is rather silly for religious figures to get upset over Dan Brown's fiction.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never really liked Dan Brown, but for the sake of argument and not to be left behind as well, I’ve read all of his books to justify my aversion to his pang-hollywood style of writing (maybe keeping faith that he'll get better?...nah). He never fails to disappoint me with the way he ends his story telling. I’m a glutton for punishment. Balloon deflating? Aptly said.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Nelson said...

i saw his new book displayed in the bookstore here. didn't bother remembering the title, but it was something quasi-scientific: discovering something in artic, and that artifact is tied with a presidential nominee. sounds really hokey and hollywood [also sounds like michael crichton].

but i would see the movie version of the "da vinci code," just for seeing "amelie's" audrey tautou. can you imagine her with the same bob, eyes twinkling mischievously while they go around paris trying solve a nancy drew caper? la lang nakakatawa... ;-)

6:53 AM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

I will still watch the movie. I wanna see how they'll adapt it.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home