Saturday, July 23, 2005

Here Are Some Of My Favorite Lines

Okay, okay—I got this fondness for lists from Entertainment Weekly magazine.

While waiting for my editor on a Friday evening, instead of memorizing my lines, I ended up listing some of my favorite lyrics. Some I chose because of the writing, the way the words were crafted and laid out. Some I chose for the sentiment; the words just resonate for me. So without further ado, may I present the latest McVie list:

Lyrics I Wish I Had Written
(in no particular order)

The fire trucks are coming up around the bend
Alanis Morissette, “You Learn”

I used to have demons in my room at night
Desire, despair, desire…
So many monsters

Annie Lennox, “No More ‘I Love You’s’”

Waits at the window
Wearing a face that she keeps in a jar by the door—
Who is it for?
Oh, the lonely people, where do they all come from?

The Beatles, “Eleanor Rigby”

So when you look at me you better look hard and look twice,
Is that me baby or just a brilliant disguise?

God have mercy on the man
Who doubts what he’s sure of

Bruce Springsteen, “Brilliant Disguise”

But you gave away the things you love
And one of them was me
I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee
Clouds in my coffee

Carly Simon, “You’re So Vain”

So don’t mind if I fall apart
There’s more room in a broken heart

Carly Simon, “Coming Around Again”

This is the end of everything
This is the end, I know
This is the end of everything
Take your love with you when you go

Chris Isaak, “The End Of Everything”

Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Depeche Mode, “Enjoy The Silence”

I will go down with this ship
And I won’t put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I’m in love and always will be

Dido, “White Flag”

I need to remember this
So baby give me just one kiss
And let me take a long last look
Before we say goodbye

Don Henley, “The End Of The Innocence”

The more I know, the less I understand
All the things I thought I figured out, I have to learn again

So I’m thinkin’ about forgiveness,
Forgiveness…
Even if, even if you don’t love me anymore

Don Henley, “The Heart Of The Matter”

Now that I don’t have you
Maybe someday I’ll love as others do
And fall for someone who’s sad but true
Now that I don’t have you

Jill Sobule, “Now That I Don’t Have You”

Fate must have a reason
Why else endure the season of hollow soul?

k.d. lang, “Season Of Hollow Soul”

There’s no greater power
Than the power of goodbye

Madonna, “The Power Of Good-Bye”

If we both were born in another place and time
This moment might be ending in a kiss
But there you are with yours and here I am with mine
So I guess we’ll just be leaving it at this

Olivia Newton-John, “I Honestly Love You”

In years to come they may discover
what the air we breathe and the life we lead
are all about—
But it won’t be soon enough,
Soon enough for me

Paul McCartney, “Tug Of War”

It’s a turn-around jump shot
It’s everybody jump starts
It’s every generation throws a hero up the pop charts

Paul Simon, “The Boy In The Bubble”

It’s just a boy or a girl—
It’s not the end of the world

Pet Shop Boys, “The End Of The World”

Miserablism: is is, and isn’t isn’t.
Pet Shop Boys, “Miserablism”

Don’t blame him for refusing your bid
He didn’t decide to love—you did

You don’t fall in love by chance
You choose

Pet Shop Boys, “You Choose”

You’re not the only one with mixed emotions
You’re not the only ship adrift on this ocean

The Rolling Stones, “Mixed Emotions”

So you found a girl who thinks really deep thoughts—
What’s so amazing about really deep thoughts?
Boy, you best pray that I bleed real soon;
How’s that thought for ya?

Tori Amos, “Silent All These Years”

Desperation is a tender trap
It gets you every time

U2, “So Cruel”

Did I disappoint you?
Or leave a bad taste in your mouth?
You act like you never had love
And you want me to go without

Did I ask too much, more than a lot?
You gave me nothing, now it’s all I got

U2, “One”

I’m sure I’ve left some out so I’ll just add in a future episode.

Do I tag anyone with this? Weeeell…. (smiles)

Bahala na kayo.

14 Comments:

Blogger Nelson said...

There is a voice deep in your soul
Telling you not to lose control
Day after day you hold back your tears
'Coz pain is the greatest of your fears


Johnny Hates Jazz, "Different Seasons"


Push aside those that whisper never

Culture Club, "Victims"


I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had


Tears for Fears, "Mad World"

5:22 AM  
Blogger Nelson said...

Some people call it a one night stand
But we can call it paradise

Duran Duran, "Save A Prayer"

I'm not saying I'm replacing love for some other word
to describe the sacred tie that bound me to you
I'm not saying love's a plaything
No, it's a powerful word inspired by strong desire to bind myself to you
How I wish that we never had tried to be man and his wife
to weave our lives into a blindfold over both our eyes

1000 Maniacs, "Jezebel"

5:31 AM  
Blogger iamwasted said...

Love the one with clouds in my coffee...

11:30 AM  
Blogger Somnambulist Nocturnal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Somnambulist Nocturnal said...

Not sure if I ever heard Bruce Springsteen's "Brilliant Disguise" but those lines were like "whoa!" =)

6:56 PM  
Blogger PINKisthenewBLACK said...

thanks for the 'power of goodbye'

should have done that 48 years ago pa.

i'm so gaga

12:05 AM  
Blogger OLIVER said...

Oh my god.... I love those two Don Henley Songs from that 1989 album.

Wise, touching words... :)

2:13 PM  
Blogger fried-neurons said...

My current favorite:


if I were a booger,
would you blow your nose?
would you keep it?
would you eat it?
i'm just trying to give myself a reason
for being around

-Being Around, The Lemonheads

8:44 PM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

TO ALL: Thanks guys for sharing your favorite snatches (snatches!) of lyrics with us.

Like Oliver, why not come up with your own list? Masaya siya, actually. :-)

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was blog-hopping and saw this very interesting post. You're right, people should do this "lyric list" more often. Let me add a couple to your list:

"Like a flower
Waiting to bloom
Like a lightbulb
In a dark room
Im just sittin here waiting for you
To come on home and turn me on"

"Turn Me On"
Nina Simone

You punished me for telling you my fantasies
I'm breakin' all the rules I didn't make
[Express yourself, don't repress yourself]
You took my words and made a trap for silly fools
You held me down and tried to make me break
[Express yourself, don't repress yourself]

"Human Nature"
Madonna

And my "guilty pleasure" favorite:

They say I'm nasty,
but I don't give a damn,
Getting boys is how I live...

"My Prerogative"
Britney Spears

10:59 AM  
Blogger . said...

I will create an entire entry like this one. Hehehe. Salamat ha!

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got lost on my wedding day
typical, the police came
but virgins always get backstage
no matter what they've got to say
if you love enough you'll lie alot
guess they did in Camelot
mama's waiting on my front lawn
I pray I pray I pray
for Jackie's Strength

"Jackie's Strength"
Tori Amos

Now that I’ve met you
Would you object to
Never seeing each other again

"Deathly"
Aimee Mann

I've been downhearted baby,
Ever since the day we met

"Standing Outside A Broken Phone Booth With Money On My Hand"
Primitive Radio Gods

what's the sense in being so sensitive?
can i trade this thin skin for a shell?
there are some things i've got no feeling about
but there are some things i can tell

"Capsized"
Sarah Harmer

The whole lyrics of "Love Song For A Vampire", Annie Lennox.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's mine...

you are in my blood
you are my holy wine
you taste so bitter
and so sweet, oh
i could drink a case of you, darling
but i would still be on my feet
i would still be on my feet

go to him
stay with him if you can
but be prepared to bleed

a case of you - joni mitchell

maybe, i ain't used to maybe's
smashing in the cold room
cutting my hands up
everytime i touch you

maybe...
maybe it's time to wave goodbye now
time to wave goodbye now

tear in your hand - tori amos

8:17 PM  
Blogger . said...

Hahaha, nakagawa na ako ng entry. Thanks again McVie.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home