Sunday, June 12, 2005

Dance Away

Last night was Bed’s 2nd year anniversary. My friend Edsel and I went there to celebrate and to dance the night away. There were things I wanted to exorcise from me that night. There were things to put to an end, people to let go. It was time for me to move on. Wake up, McVie, and face the music.

Yes, face the music. That’s when I let go, let the music envelop me. I close my eyes, my body begins to move, and I lose myself. That’s when I feel most free, even for just a few seconds.

I downed two glasses of vodka tonic then positioned myself on the dance floor. After an hour or more of dancing (it got so crowded at one point it was difficult to really let loose) and ignoring the more-than-usual gorgeous shirtless guys, I was spent. Shirt heavy with sweat and heart heavy with resolve, I tied up certain loose ends right there and then. Done, I walked over to Edsel and said, “Time to go.”

The sun was already out when we stepped out of Bed. After dropping him off, I was quiet. The song “Dance Away” by Roxy Music played endlessly on my mind on my way home.

Loneliness is a crowded room
Full of open hearts turned to stone
All together, all alone.
All at once my whole world had changed,
Now I’m in the dark, off the wall,
Let the strobe light up them all,
I close my eyes and dance till dawn.

Dance away the heartache,
Dance away the tears.
Dance away….

Now I know I must walk the line
Until I find an open door.
There was I – many times a fool.
I hope and pray, but not too much.
Out of reach is out of touch,
All the way is far enough.

Dance away the heartache,
Dance away the tears.
Dance away….


Upon parking Orlando into the driveway, I switched off both my car and my internal radio. The morning was quiet, peaceful. I was home.

3 Comments:

Blogger . said...

Somehow, this post would have been my entry two years ago. I cast out my demons too by dancing.

11:22 PM  
Blogger OLIVER said...

Cool Bryan Ferry/Roxy Song, McVie. :)

2:59 AM  
Blogger joelmcvie said...

Yup Oliver, it is a cool song. :-)

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home